Sunday, November 9, 2014

Day 70-All Is As It Should Be

After a week of taking care of my sweet grandchildren, Mae's and Henry's parents with their youngest baby brother Hugh returned home from a vacation in Hawaii. As Mae, Henry and I walked home from church, the garage door was up and I knew they were home.  Mae and Henry were so happy to see them as they raced into the house.  All at once, I went from being the primary caregiver as Grandma Marme to the understudy, but this is as it should be for Daddy and Mommy are home.  

Last night as I read Mae and Henry sweet goodnight stories like More Spaghetti I Say, No David, and We Are In A Book, I knew our time together was limited and precious.  After story time, we prayed, did our family cheer, and they hopped into bed.  As I picked up the scattered toys, dishes, and other messes about the house, I heard Henry tip toe down the stairs.   Knowing this was my last night to have him wrap his little arms around my neck and ask for milk, I soaked it up.  I stopped the cleaning for as the quote says:
Cleaning and scrubbing can wait for tomorrow for babies grow up we have learned to our sorrow, so quiet down cobwebs and dust go to sleep I'm rocking my baby, and babies don't keep.
I held him close as he drank his cup of warm milk, hugged me tight, and proceeded to fall asleep.  

I could not help but be reminded of rocking my own precious children to sleep when they were babies. Looking at Henry's blonde hair and blue eyes, I especially thought of Cameron.  Yes, I would go back to this sweet tiring time of life with small children, even with dirty diapers and temper tantrums.  At the end of the day, when I see their sweet faces whether of my grandchildren or in my mind's eye of my own children as they fall fast asleep, my heart almost bursts with love and always says a prayer for them.  Though I can't rock Cameron in my arms for he is no longer a baby, my heart says a prayer sending love and good thoughts his way. No matter how grown up our children become we as their parents are the primary caregivers even if just in our hearts; a mother and father are generally the first to hold them, care for them and always, always love them. Yes when Mommy and Daddy are home, all is as it should be!

Mae (6) and Henry (2) November 9, 2014

Cameron Hutchins (2) 1993


No comments:

Post a Comment