Friday, September 12, 2014

Day 12-Interruptions

I tripled the recipe
Or so I thought:
7 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
Then I sat it aside.

I began to measure the sugars, 
When two sweeties of mine asked a question.
After answering, I faced the counter again.
Only this time, my mind distracted,
Thought double, not triple--
If I thought at all.

2 cups dark brown sugar, firmly packed,
When it should have been 3.
1 cup white sugar 
And I needed 1 1/2.
Eggs--oops!
I only cracked 4.

Adding the vanilla 
And chocolate chips did not help.
The dough looked different 
As the mixer came to a stop.
Three more children
Interrupted to lick the bowl.

These are Mrs. Field's Blue Ribbon
Chocolate Chip Cookies--the cookbook claims.
I have made them 100 times before.
They bake, soft and gooey,
With warm, melting chocolate
Just waiting for a deserving mouth.

Something is wrong;
They don't taste exactly right.
What could have happened? Distracted
 I had unintentionally made 
A low-cholesterol, fewer-calorie cookie
Named "Interruption"!

I was reading old journals and found this poem I had begun April 1, 2000.  I thought it needed tweaking so that is what I did this afternoon after work.  Perhaps my family would have enjoyed my time spent baking chocolate chip cookies instead of writing about them, but I still have time.  My most favorite times with my family often happen at home in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment