Sunday, August 14, 2016

Week 48~Young Women Waves

Rick and I graduated from BYU in 1984 over 32 years ago.  When we began our lives in California, I was called to serve the Beehives (ages 12-13) in Young Women at church in Oak Grove 2nd Ward.  A year later, we moved into our duplex and once again I was called to teach in Young Women (ages 12-18) in the Clayton Valley 3rd Ward.  From 1987-1990 I served as Young Women President with Wayland Sheppard as the Young Men President and Bruce Darrington as his counselor which made YMYW extremely fun for everyone with those two leading the ranks.  

Rick and I had more children and I found myself in Primary (ages 3-11) for a little while in the presidency as well as the nursery which can't be helped with boys born a year apart.  However, it wasn't long before I found my way back into Young Women.  If memory serves correctly, I taught Laurels (ages 16-17) for several years in between serving twice as RS compassionate service leader and a RS teacher.  

In Danville 1st Ward where we moved in 2007, I enjoyed teaching Achievement Day girls and as they grew up my heart found its way to them in Young Women teaching Mia Maids (ages 14-15) when Rachel Bertha was YW President.  Add in serving in a Primary Presidency and then Stake YW just so I could have the privilege to do Trek, then Rick and I found ourselves loving our calling together in the Tri Valley YSA ward.  However, where has my heart landed once again?  In the Danville 1st Ward Young Women as the Laurel Advisor which is right up there!

It's hard to believe over 30 years has come and gone from when I first began teaching in Young Women when I was only 25 years old to now.  I don't think I need to do the math how old I am. Time seems to run as fast as The Flash in one of my fun TV shows I watch.  I have more stories to tell in my lessons having lived a bit longer, but have I accomplished what I thought I would so many years ago?  

Life comes in waves where we can barely keep our head above water, then it quiets down to take a breath and we can make time for the divine.  Encouraging personal progress for the young women ideally is to come to understand that even though we achieve our medallion, we are really never done setting and reaching goals so that we can improve and become better than we were the week, month or year before.  I think that is why I love serving in the Young Women for it reminds me to pause and evaluate if I am standing firmly on solid ground with my Heavenly Father as He continually teaches me to embrace truth and light as we learn to love and serve each other whether we are 8, 12, 18, 25, 35, 50, 70, or 90.  

 Young Men Young Women Leaders at 
Christmas Party 1988
Clayton Valley 3rd Ward

 More CV3 Women Leaders 
in Primary, YMYW, and RS 
in 2005
Danville Stake YMYW and their leaders
Manresa State Beach
August 13, 2016
So glad the waves have brought me back to YW again!

No comments:

Post a Comment