Monday, November 17, 2014

Day 78-Beacon on a Hill

In 1924,  Elder George Albert Smith, then an apostle who later became the prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, stated:  "I can almost see in a vision a white temple of the Lord high upon those hills, an ensign to all the world travelers as they sail through the Golden Gate into this wonderful harbor.  A great white temple of the Lord will grace those hills, a glorious ensign to the nations, to welcome our Father's children as they visit this great city."  And this is exactly what did happen when 40 years later President David O. McKay dedicated the Oakland California Temple in November 1964. 

Last night I heard Elder David A. Bednar, an apostle, commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the Oakland California Temple.  I love this temple with all my heart. On the outside of this temple and others is inscribed "Holiness to the Lord" and "House of the Lord". Within these sacred walls I was married and sealed to my husband for time and all eternity. It was here we made sacred covenants and promises bound on earth and in heaven to each other and the Lord.  Every Tuesday morning from 6:00 to Noon, I have the opportunity to serve in the temple and it is here I feel the most at home close to my Heavenly Father and my Savior.  The peace I feel returns home with me so that my own home is blessed.  This temple is truly a beacon on a hill for others as well as me.

Rick and Charlotte Married May 9, 1981
in the Oakland California Temple


The Oakland California Temple
50 Years Old
November 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment