Thursday, October 30, 2014

Day 60-Just Yesterday

A five-day quick turn around between a trip to Arizona and Utah leaves Rick and I flying on a plane again.  Rick and I are trick or treating with our three grandchildren. Rick flies home on Saturday, but I will stay to watch the older two grandchildren while their parents go on vacation.  Between packing and repacking, working on a family history project, schedules, chores, and errands, I have had little time to blog about too many deep thoughts.  Plus, like many in the Bay Area, I have been preoccupied with the Giants playing in the World Series. So maybe while in Utah, I will have a chance to breathe taking care of a six-year-old and two-year-old. On second thought, maybe not.  

Mainly, my thoughts today return to the family history project Rick and I have been working on.  As we have written about our child, teenage, young adult and adult years, we are amazed at how fast time passes.  While adding in pictures, I can recall vividly moments that seemed to have just happened, in 'real time' as Jack Bauer from "24" would say, but actually occurred so many years ago.  

Moments of pure joy as I remember Jaclyn happily riding a toy car at the Oakland Zoo; Juliann hugging me so hard after receiving a favorite toy for Christmas; Ryan's homecoming after his first week of life at Oakland Children's Hospital; Cameron sun bathing on a rock at Big Sur; and Jenessa posing in a field of wild mustard flowers.  Was it almost 20 years ago Jaclyn made dinner for us for our 14th wedding anniversary and we danced in the living room?  

I am grateful for stories spoken and written passed on from one generation to the next and for faded photographs and slides that will someday be made into DVDs.  Mommeries is also one way for me to remember and be thankful for the good, bad, happy and sad that makes up a life well lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment