Saturday, October 25, 2014

Day 55-Flying Home


In a long metal tube, I take my seat.
I cautiously breathe in and out
 propelled forward through space
amazed as I go from city to city 
and from place to place.

Flying through clouds of puffy cotton balls, 
I peer out my tiny window.
I imagine myself with a wisp of a wand
highlighting the blue sky with silky white strands
 like blonde hair blowing in the wind. 

And when I am cold, I make a blanket
of sheep's wool to wrap around me
as the sunlight's rays 
play peek-a-boo.
Feeling safe, I fall asleep.

Darker clouds appear in the distance, 
as I snuggle in and slumber on.
Thunder claps and lightening streaks, 
rain falls swiftly to the rivers below,
then silence follows as I travel on.

The sun comes out to play longer this time.
I dream of dancing on the clouds.
I wake up from my napping place, 
raise my head off my soft pillow
and tip toe back to reality.

I am tilting, dipping down, while
buildings and trees are rising up.
The fog hugs the bridges as I pass by.
The runway stretches below and I check 
to make sure my seat belt is fastened.


Rick and I flew from Phoenix to Oakland early this morning through beautiful clouds and fog.  Because of the wind and gentle rain clouds in the Bay Area, we approached Oakland from the North flying parallel with the Golden Gate Bridge, dipping slightly as if to give it a nod, and then turning left over the Oakland Bay Bridge to finally land.  Those of you who know me well, I love to travel, but truly dislike flying.  Still, whenever I see God's handiwork from above, I am spellbound for the skies are beautiful, especially fanciful clouds.

Once several weeks after my mother passed, I woke after hearing her voice say that she was dancing on clouds.  I am sure she has more work to do on the other side, but after not being well here on earth, I felt she was finally having some much needed rest and joy.  I have caught my mother dancing in front of the mirror a time or two when I was a teenager, so I am sure she would choose to dance on the clouds if given the chance.

At the moment, even though we need rain clouds, I am hoping they wait to spill their contents till the Giants game is over for Rick and our son-in-law Brett are there. Rick and I flew home early from warm Arizona and Brett flew in as well for the World Series.  Let's hope the Giants find that 'Orange October Magic' they were missing in their hits last night.  Go Giants!

Brett, our son-in-law and Rick at the World Series!






No comments:

Post a Comment