Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Day 9-Loving is in the Receiving

I needed someone
Who would see and understand my pain
And I waited . . .
Longing for my burden to be lifted;
Yet I thought no one knew.
Had my heart been wrapped like a leg in a cast,
Surely someone would have cared.
But my ache was far from view;
I let no one near.

Not realizing, I thought my pain
Was hidden deep,
Even God must not know.
Had I told Him how I suffered?
Had I cried with my whole heart:
Hear me Lord?

The rain distilled upon my cheeks
And my heart knelt in silent prayer.
As I began to dry my tears,
The Savior wept for me.
I reached out to touch the hem of His cloth
And received your loving hand.

March 1998

While reading through some of my old writings, I found this companion poem to the one I posted yesterday.  In our lives we often give, but we also need to be willing to admit that we sometimes need help. Kindness, compassion, empathy and love are characteristics we develop as we allow one another to lift and share our burdens and heartaches.  Thus, giving and receiving are valuable.  We are the instruments for God's hands and He answers our prayers mostly through each other. 

"We are surrounded by those in need of our attention, our encouragement, our support, our comfort, our kindness. . . .  We are the Lord's hands here upon the earth, with the mandate to serve and to lift His children."~President Thomas S. Monson




No comments:

Post a Comment