Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Day 17-Lake Tahoe! Need I say more?

My husband Rick and I are taking two days off and heading to our cabin.  With a tax deadline of September 15th behind Rick and an October 15th deadline looming, we take our mini vacations when we can get them.  We have to be home by early Friday evening, but it is worth it to steal away.  Waking up Thursday morning to fresh air, pine trees, blue water, and time with each other is divine.  

Tahoe is our peaceful place.  We honeymooned there 33 years ago thanks to Uncle Roger and Auntie Judy for letting us stay at their cabin.  It has been a favorite spot ever since.  When I am there, I am reminded of promises I made with Rick; plans, dreams, and goals we have set; sunrises and sunsets; and a slower pace.  

While rereading more of my old writings, I came across this poem written October 1987 for Rick as I contemplated our wedding day six years before:

Reflections in the Temple

As I gaze into the mirror I see me:
your happy, somewhat nervous, bride to be;
Wearing something borrowed and something blue,
pondering the old and anxious for the new.

As I gaze into the mirror I see you:
a companion, kind, valiant and true;
Sharing gentle dreams in promises made strong
as we together become forever one.

As I gaze into the mirror I see us:
a reflection of eternal love.
Our beginnings and our tomorrows--
a glimpse of the ever timeless joy of now.

This poem may be a bit sentimental and cheesy, but sometimes that is exactly me. Thank you Rick for sharing your life with me; you are my best friend!

I


No comments:

Post a Comment