Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Week 55-If Wishing Made It So

"I wish I could make all my children's wishes come true. I am praying!" I wrote one of my children in a text today. A reply came back which read, "We know you are." Praying is sometimes all a parent can do.  We want to give the world to our children.  We want to shield and protect them; help them to grow up to become self-sustaining, responsible, kind, and giving individuals who bestow love, joy, happiness, and peace to others, and find it themselves.  We want them to embrace truth, light, integrity, and honor while showing compassion and unconditional love.  We want them to have success, to be positive, and to feel useful. We hope we lead and love them by example.

Often we think by taking away the challenges and pain in life, our children could learn these characteristics. Perhaps they would, but would they have empathy and feel deeply if they themselves did not have to humble themselves when facing trials and hardships?  As a parent looking back, I have grown more and learned more when the going gets tough.  It is then I have to search inside myself and outward to God.  It is hard to not be frustrated, impatient, and sad at times when the plan we thought was ideal for our family does not come to pass. Instead, on bended knee we fall and cry out to see if God is listening.  As I extinguish my fear and light my faith, I once again am reminded that it is not my plan, but His that matters most.

It is God who loves us all and who is well aware of our individual needs.  He alone knows better than even parents what is best for our children who are His children too.  Thus, to know that my children know I am praying to God in their behalf sends a clear message to me that they know God has a plan for them and I know it as well. Life may not be made up of all our wishes and dreams coming true, but it certainly is made up of God's plan for each of us that will strengthen us as we try to become all that our Heavenly Father knows we can be.

Pray Always

No comments:

Post a Comment