Thursday, January 15, 2015

Day 137-"A Perfect Combination"

I would not have thought I would be quoting Billie Jean King after all these years, but here goes:  "Tennis is a perfect combination of violent action taking place in an atmosphere of total tranquillity." I usually am excited to play tennis with Rick who wanted to practice hitting some tennis balls before he plays on Saturday, but I was not today.  Thankfully, he got me out of the house and onto the tennis court, even if we were home in less than an hour in time to serve dinner.  While on the court I found myself hitting the ball with some extra zing, and I was amazed that whatever frustration I was holding in actually felt good to release on the court.  To say that I was hitting the ball violently is an exaggeration, but I did hit it strong and hard.  Yes, I missed some hits, but when I was chasing the ball and calmly walked or jogged back to my place on the court, I would often pause and look around me.  I love tennis courts.  I told Rick I feel like I am on vacation when I am on a tennis court because we often will play to relax and have fun while away.  Thus, hitting a little ball back and forth at times with a heavy hand or with a spin (only Rick can do this, not me), I find serenity.  So, Billie Jean, you are right in your description.

No comments:

Post a Comment