Monday, November 24, 2014

Day 85-"Once in a Blue Moon," I Do Make Pies

My dear friend Candi reminded me of the importance of keeping a gratitude journal.  At the moment, I am writing in a Question & Answer Five-Year Journal; the lines are small and the questions may not apply to what happened that day, but it is still fun.  I remember in the days of Oprah how popular The Simple Abundance books and gratitude journals by Sarah Ban Breathnach had been. I wrote in one sporadically then later kept one on a computer.  I enjoyed looking back tonight in a couple of journals.  I also wondered what I had been doing in the month of November and read the following entries:

November 26, 1997~Jaclyn (14), Juliann (10), and I made apple and pumpkin pies this evening for Thanksgiving dinner.  I love my daughters as we do things together that bond us even closer.

November 19, 1999~Jenessa (6) had left her backpack at home and began to cry as she got out of the car in front of the school.  Even though I told her I would bring it later, she wasn’t comforted.  “But Mommy, I need to turn in my homework folder early this morning.”  “Hop in the car," I said.  As we drove the five minutes home, I told Jenessa that I missed her during the day and that sometime soon we’d have to let her stay home with Mommy on a school day.  I asked, “You really like school, don’t you?"  Jenessa readily replied, “Oh yes Mommy I do, but I like it best when you are there!”  So this explains why I am blessed to stay home and volunteer at the school on Wednesdays.  Little moments such as these are precious.

If I had not written even a sentence or two, these moments would be lost.  I certainly would have no way to prove to my son-in-law Brett that "once in a blue moon," I do make pies.  Now I have proof!

This just happens to be a not-so-pretty but delicious chicken pot pie.  Instead of chicken pot pie, it could be apple pie Brett. So someday when you are having Thanksgiving dinner with us just wait to be surprised by pie.





No comments:

Post a Comment